Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Lianne step 1


I am starting this portrait for a few reasons... I have a deadline for the Portrait Society of Canada for an online portrait show, I took the reference photos for this portrait a long time ago and have been trying to get to it, and I am experimenting with a slightly different version of painting a dark background with a portrait so it blends into it better.
I started by going over the whole background as well as her shirt with a grey wash. I then added a darker wash over the background only. I will keep going darker on her shirt as well but I wanted to see where edges were for now. The yellow light on the right of the painting is from my desk lamp. It is grey and raining right now without enough light to get a good photo with natural light.

2 comments:

Ona Kingdon said...

I'm looking forward to watching this one
as it comes to life.

Ona

Ellen said...

Thanks Ona, but it will have to take a back seat to a couple of others first.