Friday, January 20, 2017

Finished Bundled Up

I'm calling this one finished. I corrected values around the whole painting, corrected the front boy's eyes, and fixed the boots. I tried to add some snow flakes on the boots and pants but didn't like the look of it so I took it out. It didn't add anything to the composition. I've now waxed the surface to protect it and it's ready for our art club's show in February.

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Step 9 - nearly done

I worked all over the painting correcting values and colours. I still have a little more to do around the boots but besides that, the main correction will be the eyes of the boy in front. They still aren't right and the eyes are always the focus of a painting. These are also my grandsons so I can tell if it isn't quite right. This will probably be done by tomorrow then once it's completely dry I'll cover it with Dorlands Wax to protect it. That way it can be hung without glass. I forgot to mention earlier that this is 16 x 20".

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Step 8

Another few hours. More work on the boots and started working on values to make creases on the snowsuits.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Step 7

Today I concentrated on the front snowsuit but also worked a few other areas while waiting for parts to dry. Still a long way to go but I like the fact that almost all the white (that will be covered) is covered.

Monday, January 16, 2017

Step 6

Today I finished the plaid coat that was giving me so much difficulty. It will probably get some details or shadows added farther on in the process but tomorrow I can move on finally. I have to paint from the farthest away to the nearest so the overlapping edges of the subject on top will look right. 

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Step 5

Another few hours done on this. It is a little slow going because I'm using the first washes to figure out where everything goes. I worked on the snow suits today.

Saturday, January 14, 2017

Step 4

A few more hours of work done on this. The green coat will be closer to the colour of the hood rather than the initial wash of lime green on the rest of the coat. Lots of work still but I'm filling in first washes to figure out where the colours go and cover the white paper.

Friday, January 13, 2017

Step 3

I worked on this a few hours this morning and the boy in the back's head is finished except for the final tiny touches once the rest of the painting is done. I've started the first washes on the boy in front as well as working out some of the first washes on the plaid coat. I was going quickly on the green coat to cover a lot of the white paper and started making mistakes I'll have to lift at the start of the next session. I decided to stop since I must be getting tired when I start making mistakes as my attention drifts. I'm loving the bright colours but some colours are harder to mix.

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Step 2

I worked more on the face and started on the complicated jacket that is a multi-coloured plaid. The coats are a wonderful mix of bright colours.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Bundled Up

Now that a very busy Xmas season is finally finished and everything put away I can go back to my painting. I have a few shows coming up with our art club (the Porcupine Art Club) and the first one is next month. Therefore, I only have a couple of weeks to get this first one finished.

The theme of the show is "In the Deep Mid Winter". My reference photo was taken by my son while out sledding with two of my grandsons. I am calling this painting "Bundled Up'.

Step 1
It's hard to get a good photo with so much of the white paper showing.